Bring out your rain jackets and head on down to Husky Stadium tonight! The Huskies will be holding their annual spring game tonight at 6:30 and, despite the cool temperatures, it is sure to be a hoppin’ time! 3/4 of the Good Guys will be at the game and bringing you a recap afterwards. After watching almost all of the spring practices I have a few recommendations on who to watch tonight. Bob Condotta also filed a “Who To Watch” list that you can find here. As usual, he does a fantastic job. Here’s a few players (and a few other things) that I’ll be watching tonight (The obvious guys won’t be on this list very much. Of course we’ll all be watching Jake Locker, Devin Aguilar, and Mason Foster. They are awesome and there’s no disputing this.):
- Deontae Cooper. Cooper is one of the two freshman running backs who came in for spring practices. Sadly, Jesse Callier won’t be participating; he had been very impressive too. Deontae Cooper was my favorite part of the spring. He has been absolutely fantastic. I can only remember one practice in which he didn’t break off a long touchdown run. If he’s on top of his game today Husky fans will be in for a treat and you all will stop wondering why I keep writing about this guy.
- Cort Dennison. Before this spring the linebacker position was one to worry about. I’ll write more on this later but, this is the spot where the most questions were answered for me. As we saw last year, Cort is a pretty good player. If he was a baseball player I would have rated him as a league-average player. After watching him this spring I would say he’s above average. He’s moved to the middle linebacker spot for this season and will be a steady stream of energy and toughness there. Cort is a fun Husky to watch; I would say that you should do at least a little bit of that tonight.
- The free safety position. Nick Holt said in an interview yesterday that with the emergence of Will Shamburger and Nate Fellner, Sean Parker should be able to stay at his natural position of strong safety. This means that the coaches have been very impressed by these two players. They both show a few different things: Shamburger is good in coverage and Fellner brings the lumber. Right now Shamburger is the starter but Fellner is right in the mix too. Both of these guys will play a role next year.
- The offense in short yardage situations. The Huskies had trouble with this last year and Sark put an emphasis on getting more physical heading into spring. Of course they will be going up against a depleted defensive line tonight but it will still be interesting to watch.
- Alvin Logan. Logan has had a good spring and is in the hunt for the 3rd linebacker position. He’s very quick rushing off the edge and definitely looks the part. I’m predicting at least one sack for him tonight.
- Anthony Boyles. A.B. started this spring with a bang but has since fallen off a little bit. I think he’ll be ready to get out and play in a game format. At times he looks like UW’s best corner, other times he seems to be lost. He should get tested often tonight, I’m excited to see how he responds.
- William Chandler. I don’t know who William Chandler is, I don’t know where he came from and I don’t know if he’ll play much next year but this guy continues to make catch after catch in practice. I imagine he’ll pull down a few tonight and people will ask who it was.
The teams will be the starting offense with the second team defense vs. the second team offense and the starting defense. Basically, the one vs. the ones and the twos vs. the twos.
The starting offense will be close to this:
QB: Jake Locker. Keith Price will come in once Montlake Jake is done for the day.
RB: Johri Fogerson/Deontae Cooper
FB: Austin Sylvester/Dorson Boyce
TE: Chris Izbicki/Kavario Middleton
WR: Devin Aguilar/James Johnson/Cody Bruns
LT: Senio Kelemente
LG: Ryan Tolar
C: Drew Schaefer
RG: Mykenna Ikehara
RT: Daniel Kanczugowski
The defense should look something like this:
DE’s: Cameron Elisara and Talia Critchon. De’Shon Matthews might be with the starters, I’m not sure.
DT’s: Alameda Ta’amu/Chris Robinson/Tyrone Duncan
LB’s: Alvin Logan/Cort Dennison/Mason Foster. Expect Matt Houston to rotate in here too.
CB’s: Vonzell McDowell/Quinton Richardson. Adam Long may rotate in with the starters but I expect him to be with the 2nd team.
FS: Will Shamburger
SS: Nate Williams
Those might be a little off but they’re pretty close. Enjoy and I’ll hopefully see you tonight!