4 days! Sark had his season opening press conference today which didn’t give off a whole lot of news. Here were a few things that stuck out to me.
- Sark said that starting tight end, Chris Izbicki, had the best off-season of anyone. This is great news if true. It’s impossible to know what Izbicki did his first two years here because he was in Willingham’s doghouse. Maybe he worked hard, maybe he didn’t. But, now we have proof that he’s making big strides and wants to help the team win ball games. Chris will play a big role on this team and if he meets his initial potential (a 4-star recruit coming out of high school) he will be another weapon in this high-powered offense.
- Brent Williams and John Timu will gray-shirt this year. Timu is not a surprise but Williams is. I thought Williams would come in and redshirt but he also had the possibility of playing because of the lack of depth. Maybe this move shows that Sark has faith that the previously injured defensive ends (Aldrich and Thompson) are fine. Maybe I’m reading too much into it.
- Sark stated that he thinks Jake should be above a 65% completion percentage and have a 3:1 touchdown to interception ratio. If both of those things happen, I think the Huskies will win 9 games or more. Those are some lofty goals but if anyone could get to them, Montlake Jake would be the guy to do it.
- He gave the team a clean bill of health. Justin Glenn will be monitored very closely with an ankle issue but the rest of the team is very healthy heading into camp.
- The Huskies announced they have 2 walk-on quarterbacks that were added to their roster. I won’t pretend like I know a thing about either of them but they both put up some good high school numbers. They are much needed extra bodies at that position.
- Speaking of extra bodies, the Huskies reportedly have 81 scholarship players on the active roster (I thought it would be 78 or 79 and I’m not sure where I’m off) and have 23 walk-ons. That’s 104 players if you don’t feel like doing the addition. The NCAA limit is 105.
- Josh Shirley will start out at defensive end. Although this is where he’ll start, I think he’ll get a good look at the open linebacker position also.
- Perhaps the biggest news of the day were the listed weights of players. Ivan Lewis is one crazy dude and our players seem to be getting in the shape that the coaches want them to be in. Here are a few of the biggest increases/decreases (straight from Condotta’s blog):
RB Demetrius Bronson was 206, now 221
DE Talia Critchon was 229, now 246
DT Alameda Ta’amu was 348, now 330
DT Semisi Tokolahi was 340, now 298
The theme of this was the big defensive lineman losing some weight while the younger guys at other positions put on some weight. Bronson is obviously embracing the ‘big back’ role that he’ll have with the team. It’s great to see Critchon up some so he won’t get man-handled this year. Ta’amu looks like a different person, according to Sark. Tokolahi lost 42 lbs. That’s crazy. I think he’ll be in a little bit better playing shape now.
I realize that now it’s only 3 days until camp now but I just got back to Yakima after a terrible Mariner game. Poor Felix, he deserves better. I’ll be back with more later today!