I’ll just do a quick write-up since I doubt none of the other good guys want to talk about this one. The M’s lost 9-2 today and finished their road trip 2-5. Here’s a few quick bullet points for this ugly game.
- Hero: Chone Figgins. He looked much better today and might start hitting the ball now. There wasn’t much of a hero to this game but Figgins had 2 hits and an RBI.
- Goat: Ian Snell. He sucked today, enough said.
- Don’t judge Ian Snell by either of his starts this year. He shut the A’s down pretty well but just about every ball was hit hard today. I think he’s somewhere in between these two performances but we won’t know until he has a few more starts. He was awful today. I don’t know what that 88 mph pitch he was throwing was. I hope that it’s not his fastball because if it is he’s going to have a long year.
- Guti continues to be hot. He had two hits and a few more great catches today. Maybe the off-season made me forget how great he is in center field but he has been amazing to watch this week and will be for the rest of the season.
- Jose Lopez does not look good at the plate right now. I can’t put my finger on what it is but he doesn’t look comfortable at all. It’s probably just a slump but out of all the M’s players who are in a slump, he’s the one I’m most worried about.
- Griffey’s bat looked slow the first few games but it’s looked a little better the past 3 games. He was 1 for 3 today and just missed a home run in one of his outs.
- If you want good news there actually is some. Erik Bedard and Cliff Lee each threw 45 pitch bullpen sessions today. They were both throwing hard and felt good. Lee is expected back at the beginning of May and Bedard in mid-May if all goes according to plan.
That’s about it for today. The road trip is over and I think coming home will help this team. I’m not very worried about them but I will be after a couple more weeks like this. Opening day will be fun tomorrow and hopefully we go out and get a win.